The Hits: A Review of 2015


Hello World,

       I've been MIA from my blog and my website for a while now. Many of my friends have asked: "What have you been up to?" My answer is usually a lot. This year especially has put me through the paces of what I thought was possible. But, my goal has remained the same, which is my strive towards artistic excellence. This post is going to be a "Best of 2015".

1. Montclair State University: Done-zo!



     Graduating from Montclair State University last year with a BFA in Illustration and minor in Creative Writing, I was thrilled to have finally completed the first chapter of my scholarly journey. I had an amazing time at MSU forming great friendships and meeting brilliant professors who have sharpened my senses to my own particular interests. Some of which, I'll get into in this blog.


2. Designing for Indie Games

       While finishing school, I collaborated with Among Elusions, a start up video game company to develop  Buried Bones. Being part of the team for those months allowed me to live my fantasy as a concept artist. The story of Buried Bones is an epic tale. It was a blast working alongside Corey, Alyssa, Johnny, Aaron and Will.

Here's a photo of us working in my attic.



The game is still under development alongside another project called, Slaughterhouse Panchinko. I was proud to hear it won the Fan Favorite award at Gameacon 2015. If there's ever a team of passionate game developers, it's Among Elusions.



Below are some photos from an Apple Watch game jam I was a part of at HeyThisIsPop Studio. A game jam is when game designers, coders and artists get together to make game in crunch. 





Here's a pitch I put together for our Apple Watch Game: Lucky's Revenge!


Team Included:


3. Grand Central Atelier: The Honing of Skill

All the while I was designing characters, I felt the need to refine my craft. This lead me to enroll in Grand Central Atelier's Core Program. The school's teachings have captivated me as my fellow students. I'll certainly get into my reflections and experiences of the school in another post. Here are some progress and final drawings from my 4 months of study.

Long Pose Portrait Class: 


  


Final Drawing




2 Night Alla Prima Sketch



1 Day Figure Block-ins




1 Day Portrait Block-ins



Eye Sculpture



Cast Drawing: The Ear

The Set up

Final Drawing




4. High Bridge Paint Out !


Another highlight from the summer was when I won 3rd place in the High Bridge Paint Out contest. In High Bridge, NJ. Below is the Painting, "Looking for Fish"





We'll see what 2016 brings. One thing is for sure I am looking toward is continuing my academic training at Grand Central Atelier. I'll still be doing my teaching gigs in the Bloomfield Library.

Like one of my favorite instructors Colleen Barry appropriated,  "It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll."


Thanks again my favorite M.S.U. Professors.
Jonathan BartlettChris GashJosh Jordan, Ed MurrScott GordleyChris Weyant, Iain Kerr,  Dr. Feigler, David Galef, Thank you everyone


GCA Halloween Party

Bring it On 2016!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Tumblr.